Here’s my Tip of the Week for staying on track with clients:
We have all had challenging clients from time to time. However, it doesn’t mean you should automatically throw in the hat each time they show up on your books. Here are some tips that I suggest for finding resolution:
1. Communication is key. Make sure you initiate questions and seek answers.
2. Get specific: Do they want a color change? Do they want a length change? How much time do they want to allocate to styling? Do they want a curly or straight style? The more questions you ask the better of you will be.
3. Show up with Photos. Ask your client to bring photos of looks they like and looks they dislike (This will allow you to eliminate some looks). Ask for photos of both styles they like and colors they like.
4. Allow yourself extra time on your books for this appointment.
5. Keep a professional positive attitude and make sure you don’t allow yourself to get flustered.
6. Once the style is complete ask for feedback. Make sure you allow time to style out the client so that you can address any items on the spot.
7. If all else fails, recommend a new hairstylist who you think your client could benefit from. Make sure you communicate this is a positive professional way.
8. Stay positive, sometimes this has nothing to do with you or your abilities!